An Ikeja Special Offences Court on Wednesday threatened to issue a bench warrant for arrest of a former Minister of Aviation, Chief Femi Fani-Kayode, for failure to appear for his trial.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Justice Olubumni Abike-Fadipe frowned at constant non-appearance of the defendant for the trial.
Fani-Kayode is standing trial on a 12-count charge bordering on use of false documents, use of fabricated evidence, procuring execution of documents by false pretences, and fabrication of evidence.
He, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge, on arraignment on Dec. 17, 2021.
The judge noted that Fani-Kayode appeared last for the trial on Nov. 4, 2022.
Abike-Fadipe cited excuses that had been given by the defendant for non-appearance.
She consequently threatened to issue a bench warrant against him if he would fail to show up at the next adjourned date.
The judge also showed displeasure at lack of diligent prosecution of the case.
She said that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) prosecuting the case could withdraw it if it would not prosecute it diligently.
She adjourned the case until Nov. 7 for continuation of trial.
The defendant was alleged to have forged medical reports which he tendered before Justice Daniel Osiagor of a Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, where he is being prosecuted by EFCC for an alleged N4.9 billion fraud.
His counsel, Mr Wale Balogun, had on Feb. 20, informed the court of the absence of the defendant due to health reasons and issues he had with the Department of State Services (DSS) and police.
We regret to announce to your lordship that the defendant is not in court due to health reasons, and due to a running battle he has with both the DSS and the police, he said.
Balogun had prayed the court to adjourn the case, promising to make the defendant available at Wednesday’s proceedings.
However, when the case was called on Wednesday, Mr Chinozo Eze, who represented Balogun, told the court that Fani-Kayode was not in court due to health issues.
The absence of the defendant in court is due to health issues, Eze said.
Eze further informed the court that a medical report and a letter seeking the leave of the court to vacate the adjourned date had been submitted to the court.
EFCC counsel, Mrs Zinat Atiku, confirmed the receipt of the said letter.
- The extorting and suffocating security check points in South-Eastern Nigeria.Southeast geopolitical zone of Nigeria, for quite a long time, suffering under the pains and suffocation of countless checkpoints mounted in the area by different Nigeria security forces, including the Army and Police. The argument is…
- Horner syndrome is a condition impacting the eye and adjacent facial tissues on one side.Definition Horner syndrome is a condition impacting the eye and adjacent facial tissues on one side, arising due to the paralysis of specific nerves. This syndrome can manifest at any stage of life; approximately 5 percent…
- Pruritus, also known as itchy skin, is an unpleasant sensation that prompts the desire to scratch the affected area.Overview Pruritus, also known as itchy skin, is an unpleasant sensation that prompts the desire to scratch the affected area. It can occur in various parts of the body and may range from a mild annoyance…
- Nigeria Supreme Court reject Atiku Abubakar CSU evidence against Tinubu.The Supreme Court of Nigeria has dismissed the application by Atiku Abubakar, the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, to admit fresh evidence in his appeal against President Bola Tinubu for lack of jurisdiction….
- Supreme Court of Nigeria approve it’s live transmission of judgement today.The Supreme Court has approved the live transmission of its judgment in the applications challenging the election of President Bola Tinubu during the 2023 presidential election. The Chief Justice of Nigeria, Olukayode Ariwoola, gave the approval…
- Moroccan King sends significant quantities of foodstuffs, medical supplies, and water to Palestine.The Moroccan Monarch King Mohammed VI has directed an emergency humanitarian aid to Palestine,. The announcement was made on Monday by Moroccan Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The aide include significant quantities of foodstuffs, medical supplies, and water….
- No fewer than 400 lives where lost yesterday in a deadly strike between Israel- Palestine.Unending Violence in the Israel-Palestine conflict has brought renewed attention to the Palestinian-inhabited territories, including the Gaza Strip, West Bank and Jerusalem. Considered key to any future peace plan, Jerusalem, the capital city for Israelis and…
- Dravet syndrome is an uncommon condition marked by seizures and developmental challenges.What is Dravet Syndrome? Dravet syndrome is an uncommon condition marked by seizures and developmental challenges. Onset of seizures happens prior to the age of 1, while cognitive, behavioral, and physical issues typically manifest around ages…