Bitter kola, also known as bitter cola or Garcinia Kola, is a plant found in Central and Western Africa that has long been valued for its medicinal properties. Although traditional African medicine uses all parts of the Bitter Kola plant, the seeds are mostly commonly eaten.
Bitter kola seeds have a sharp, bitter flavor that eases into a slight sweetness as you chew, and they’re typically eaten raw.
Although bitter kola has been eaten in Africa for years, scientists are just beginning to study the health benefits of this flowering plant.
According to these early studies, bitter kola may be able to help with health problems including:
Bitter kola has been used over the years to fight infections from the common cold to hepatitis. A 2018 study showed that bitter kola can help combat coughs, bacterial infections, and viral infections. Eating bitter kola when an infection starts may help fight the infection and make you feel better more quickly.
Bitter kola seeds have commonly been chewed on in Africa to fight against inflammatory conditions like arthritis. One 2008 study showed that patients with osteoarthritis in their knees showed significantly reduced inflammation when eating bitter kola compared to a placebo. The high levels of potassium in bitter kola may be a contributing factor in reducing inflammation.
Early studies suggest that a chemical called kolaviron, which is found in bitter kola, may protect against hypoglycemia in people with type 2 diabetes. Although this first study was done on rats and has not yet been reproduced on humans, these early findings are promising.
Nutrients per Serving
The FDA considers bitter kola generally safe to eat, but classifies it similarly to essential oils. That means there’s not much information available about serving sizes or nutritional data. However, a 2013 study found that bitter kola was high in the following nutrients:
The study same study also found that bitter kola had high levels of:
- Vitamin C
- The extorting and suffocating security check points in South-Eastern Nigeria.Southeast geopolitical zone of Nigeria, for quite a long time, suffering under the pains and suffocation of countless checkpoints mounted in the area by different Nigeria security forces, including the Army and Police. The argument is that the checkpoints are meant to enforce security and counter the activities of criminal elements. This sounds theoretically good….
- Horner syndrome is a condition impacting the eye and adjacent facial tissues on one side.Definition Horner syndrome is a condition impacting the eye and adjacent facial tissues on one side, arising due to the paralysis of specific nerves. This syndrome can manifest at any stage of life; approximately 5 percent of those affected have it since birth (congenital). Horner syndrome is marked by the drooping of the upper eyelid…
- Pruritus, also known as itchy skin, is an unpleasant sensation that prompts the desire to scratch the affected area.Overview Pruritus, also known as itchy skin, is an unpleasant sensation that prompts the desire to scratch the affected area. It can occur in various parts of the body and may range from a mild annoyance to a severe, debilitating condition. Pruritus can be caused by numerous factors, including skin disorders, allergies, insect bites, dry…
- Nigeria Supreme Court reject Atiku Abubakar CSU evidence against Tinubu.The Supreme Court of Nigeria has dismissed the application by Atiku Abubakar, the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, to admit fresh evidence in his appeal against President Bola Tinubu for lack of jurisdiction. The apex court said Atiku’s petition was a friendly joke. It insisted that the petition could not be granted….
- Supreme Court of Nigeria approve it’s live transmission of judgement today.The Supreme Court has approved the live transmission of its judgment in the applications challenging the election of President Bola Tinubu during the 2023 presidential election. The Chief Justice of Nigeria, Olukayode Ariwoola, gave the approval moments ago. The appeals challenging Tinubu’s election were filed by Peter Obi of the Labour party and Atiku Abubakar…